Thursday, November 10, 2005

What's so cool about ICE CREAM?

Believe me or not, but during all this one and a half year that I have spent in Estonia, I have met no Estonian who would have NOT known the Latvian name for an ice cream... It usually goes like this:

-someone asks me something
-Vabandust, ma ei oska eesti keelt (Sorry, I don't speak Estonian)
-then they ask which language I speak (-logical, isn't it? :D)
-Ma olen Latist (I'm from Latvia)
-Ah! Latvia! SALDEEJUMS!

:DDD what is the funniest thing about this is that they pronounce it with a "P" in the end... "[Ah! Latvia! SaldeejumPs!]"...

How much wood would a wood-chuck chuck, if a wood-chuck could chuck wood? :)

6 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger Giustino said...

That's the one word all Estonians (over 25) know from the days when they went to Jurmala as kids...

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Dace said...

Seems that Estonians still carry on this habit of going to Jurmala, since ALL of them know this word! ;) But thanks for the explanation - however, you left me wondering why they dont go to their own seaside resorts? :)

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger KRISTIN said...

WRONG guess, btw! Just "SALDEJUM(P)S" sounds very funny for us, and especially with a "P" in it! And every parent teaches his/her kid that, it's like some basic knowledge about Latvia, - like everyone has some word coming in their minds connected with some certain country; if you say Lithuania, for example, everyone here would relpy "amber", I guess.
Oh and I have never been to Jurmala neither do I know anyone that had, my family and all our friends visited rather KLOOGA-RAND instead ( until 90ies) but I HAVE BEEN to Riga quite some times when I was a kid, my father had a good friend there, their family visited us almost every summer and we paid visits back.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Dace said...

anyway, this "saldeejum(P)s" thing seems quite funny... does not the word "shaursliezhudzelzceljshs" sound funnier than "saldeejum(p)s"??? :)))
But I guess you are right in a way... I think all Latvians would know KAKS (two)in Estonian... Though here the reason is not that Latvians are good at maths, but rather the close meaning of the word in Latvian... which stands close to... sh*t :)))

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger KRISTIN said...

"shaursliezhudzelzceljshs" - is it really a WORD??? WOW!
I think the reason we don't know it is because we couldn't pronounce it anyway :)

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Dace said...

...but just imagine how advanced that would be if from this time on Estonian parents would teach their children "shaursliezhudzelzceljshs", not "saldejums" :))

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home